Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides- B+

Let me start off by saying this didn't feel like a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. It was different. I guess you can say it's because there is a new director, half of the original cast was gone and only three remain but I enjoyed it. When I heard there was going to be another Pirates of the Caribbean I can tell you exactly what I was expecting.

I love Pirates of the Caribbean and when I found out about the fourth, I couldn't wait! I knew it was going to be about the Fountain of Youth because of the ending of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and I could picture the entire movie in my head until I found out there wasnt going to be anymore Will or Elizabeth. I honestly didn't think they would make much of a difference being that I didn't care about them much in the first three. Boy was I wrong. Turns out that Will and Elizabeth were a big part to the movie for me. I'm not saying that this movie was bad without them but it just wasnt the same.

On Stranger Tides was a very risky movie for such a big franchise. It changed drastically compared to the other movies in a way I'm not sure about. I loved the first two movies and the third was alright but this one was so different and I think I liked it.


Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) returns in the fourth of the franchise and is looking for the Fountain of Youth. First he escapes from London where he reunites with Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) to find out that the Black Pearl has been stolen but then finds himself  apart of the crew of Black Beard's (Ian McShane) ship and reunites with his ex-lover Angelica (Penélope Cruz). Jack then finds out that Black Beard has possession over the Black Pearl. Turns out they are after the fountain as well and is in a race against Captain Barbossa and the Spanish but once they get there (after the funny business of Jack and Barbossa together) we find out the Spanish aren't so much for the fountain of youth and have different plans for it. Now Jack has to retrieve the water from the fountain first in the middle of battle while Barbossa seems to have business to take care of with Black Beard.

On Stranger Tides is different but not in the way you don't want it to be. It has a lot in store for you including the amazing mermaid scene which was my favorite scene and might just be one of the greatest scenes that the Pirates of the Caribbean has ever delivered. With that being said, On Stranger Tides was definitely an improvement from At World's End. B+

No comments:

Post a Comment